Have an event you'd like to have appear on our events calendar? Please fill out the event form.
All events will be reviewed by an administrator before appearing on the calendar.
Publication Bans vs. Press Freedom & Open Courts
October 27 @ 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
CFE Virtual Forum Series:
The “open court” principle is a cornerstone of our legal system. The Supreme Court has reaffirmed stringent conditions for any judge considering whether to limit what can be reported from the courtroom. In practice, however, publication bans are often granted on scant argument or evidence. Join our panel in examining what this means for press freedom, the public’s right to know, and the integrity of our legal system.
Co-sponsors: Edmonton Public Library, Milton Public Library, Ryerson Journalism Research Centre, Thunder Bay Public Library, Toronto Public Library, Vancouver Public Library
- Ryder Gilliand, Past President, Canadian Media Lawyers Association
- Alyshah Hasham, Courts Reporter, Toronto Star
- Paul Schabas, Judge, Ontario Superior Court
- Alexi Wood, Founding Partner, St. Lawrence Barristers LLP
- Justin Safayeni, Partner, Stockwoods LLP
Zoom link to event ryerson.zoom.us/j/91941276567