Have an event you'd like to have appear on our events calendar? Please fill out the event form.
All events will be reviewed by an administrator before appearing on the calendar.
- This event has passed.
Putin’s War Against Journalists: One Year Later
April 19 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
#6 in the CFE Series: Threats to Press Freedom
One year after Russian president Vladimir Putin launched his invasion and muzzled Russian media, what have we learned from the war against Ukraine and against journalists? Join three Russian journalists who spoke at a CFE panel one year ago to see how they have refused to be silenced. How are Russia’s independent media fighting to expose the truth about the war? What are the challenges as the war heads into its second year?
Co-sponsored by Canadian Association of Journalists, Canadian Journalists for Free Expression, PEN Canada, World Press Freedom Canada
- Ekaterina Kotrikadze: News Director and Anchor, Dozhd (Rain TV) – Russia’s last interdependent TV channel, closed on March 3 2022
- Alexey Kovalev: Investigative reporter & editor, Meduza, Russian independent news site. Has written for Moscow Times, Guardian, New York Times
- Maxim Trudolyubov: former Editorial Page Editor, Vedomosti; Opinion Writer, International New York Time; Writer, Russia File blog, Kennan Institute
- Chris Brown, formerly CBC’s News Correspondent in Moscow. Now covering the war in Ukraine
- Julian Sher, award-winning Investigative Journalist and Author, former Senior Producer of CBC’s the fifth estate
This is a free event and no registration is required.
Please contact email@example.com if you require accommodation to ensure inclusion in this event.