The full-time position located in Waterloo, Ontario, is responsible for corporate communications, including media relations globally. The ideal candidate with have superior communications skills, and strengths in both journalism/media and government relations.
The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) is a global think tank based in Waterloo, Ontario. Founded in 2001, CIGI conducts policy research on international governance issues, including the global economy, global security and politics, and international law. A dynamic and innovative organization of leading researchers, policy practitioners and other professionals, CIGI has a unique opening for a Communications Manager.
The Communications Manager is a full-time position, responsible for the day-to-day external and internal corporate communications, including media relations at a local, regional, national and international level, to promote the activities, people and brand of the Centre for International Governance Innovation. Reporting to the Vice President of Public Affairs, this individual oversees other CIGI Communications staff and coordinates with the broader Public Affairs team, research Programs department and CIGI’s global network of fellows and partnership or collaborating organizations.
- Develop and implement communications strategies, marketing plans, the over-all Communications budget and distinct projects.
- Develop and maintain contacts with print, broadcast and online media, in Canada and globally. Send news releases and media advisories to appropriate media outlets and journalists.
- Generate and promote proposals for media coverage, and respond to media requests for expert commentary at the local, regional, national and international level. Co-ordinate media interviews, briefings and broadcast recordings.
- Assist in the tracking of media coverage. Review major newspapers and other media; alert the Vice President of Public Affairs to potential media issues and changes in the media industry; and remain apprised of new media monitoring tools and improvements.
- Research, write and oversee communications materials, and help to direct design and content of these, including news releases, media advisories, expert biographies, marketing materials, newsletters, the CIGI Annual Report and other external and internal communications.
- Supervise the collection, maintenance and continual improvement of CIGI’s list of external contacts, of major policy makers and policy influencers, including in federal and provincial governments, the media, NGOs, academia and beyond, as well as in key international institutions and networks.
- In collaboration with CIGI Digital Media, help to create and curate website content such as blogs, programs and project pages, experts sections and more.
- Promote CIGI activities via social media. Plan and execute external advertising campaigns in traditional and new media as required and budgeted.
- Oversee, assign and evaluate photography, through external freelancers and by coordinating with CIGI Digital Media staff.
- Manage the day to day activities of the Communications staff and promote a high level of performance and continuous improvement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Excellent oral and written communication skills, high proficiency in grammar, spelling, sentence structure and rules of composition, and persuasive writing.
- Demonstrated managerial and leadership skills, including experience in managing people and a budget.
- Strong familiarity with national and international news sources and media landscape; knowledge and experience with news media.
- Understanding of government structures and political processes.
- Good interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy and good judgment for both internal relations and for exceptional customer service.
- Proficient use of MS Word and MS Excel; and good understanding of Internet applications including social media.
- Creative and design judgment.
- Discretion with sensitive information and in sensitive situations.
- Detail-oriented and organized. Strong ability to multitask, work independently and under pressure, set priorities and meet deadlines. Highly motivated and results oriented.
- Written and spoken French or another international language is an asset.
- A passion for CIGI’s mandate.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- University degree or college diploma, preferably in communications, public relations or journalism, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in media, media relations or communications.
- This is a full-time, resident position in Waterloo, Ontario.
- Candidate must have the ability to travel and work nights or weekends as required by CIGI activities.
Interested applicants are invited to send a cover letter and resume along with salary expectations to email@example.com by August 29, 2014. We appreciate all candidates’ applications but only those selected for an interview will be contacted