Privacy and J-Source
If there are changes in our personal information practices we will update this policy and provide notice on the J-Source site that the policy has been updated.
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT WHEN YOU USE J-SOURCE
J-Source uses your personal information to offer and provide you services. They include:
- to fulfill your request for access to our site;
- to make improvements to our site and if we develop new related sites;
- to communicate with you;
- to maintain and improve the security of our sites and to detect and prevent fraud;
- to facilitate the general management and administration of J-Source, including to meet relevant regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security and processing requirements.
INFORMATION COLLECTED AND USED WHEN YOU VISIT OUR SITES
Certain information is collected automatically when you visit our websites such as: your IP address, usage information such as page requests, browser type, and operating system using cookies and other similar technologies. When you view our site using a mobile device your device hardware type and operating system, unique device identiﬁer, IP address, language settings, and the date and time the app accesses our servers are collected. Information about your use of our sites, such as the pages most read, time and duration of use, search terms, and other information about your interaction with the site may be analyzed. We use this information to provide basic functionality for our site, evaluate, monitor, and improve it and detect fraud.
If you provide your express consent, some devices can transmit your location data. If you choose to share location data with J-Source you will be able to turn off such data collection at any time through the privacy or location settings on your mobile device.
For more information about Google Analytics or to prevent the storage and processing of this data (including your IP address) by Google, you can download and install its opt-out browser plug-in. Additional information about Google Analytics’ data privacy and security is available on Google’s privacy and terms page.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
What you can do if you wish to withdraw your consent or change your personal information:
- To update or correct newsletter subscription details in our records you can contact us at the address below.
- Email – to unsubscribe from email communications from J-Source please click the unsubscribe link or other method indicated in the footer of the communication.
- Cookies – to limit the collection of your information by disabling cookies, most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but offer a number of ways to control cookie preferences should you wish to withdraw your consent or limit the collection of your information by disabling cookies. Typically, users can: disable all cookies (not recommended), require approval each time a site attempts to place a cookie, remove cookies manually or have them deleted automatically after a certain period. For step-by-step instructions on how to modify cookie preferences, please consult your browser’s support documentation. You can find instructions for commonly used browsers here:
J-Source does not require you to accept cookies but disabling cookies on your browser may reduce the functionality of elements of our site.
If you navigate away from J-Source, by clicking on advertising or on a link in one of our stories, other parties may also place a cookie in your browser. The use of such cookies are governed by the privacy policies of those other parties. J-Source does not control, nor is responsible for the activities or practices of such other parties.
DONATIONS TO J-SOURCE
Financial donations to J-Source are made through the websites of Carleton University and Toronto Metropolitan University. Privacy conditions related to donations are covered by the policies of Carleton University and Toronto Metropolitan University.
SECURITY AND DISCLOSURE
J-Source has in place measures to protect the information we collect from loss, theft, and unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
In some cases, J-Source may share personal information with service providers to perform activities on our behalf, such as delivering communications and services, providing advertising and analytics services, surveys and hosting our data.
LEGAL REQUESTS AND DISCLOSURES
J-Source will pursue all possible steps to protect your personal information in response to any requests to disclose it to third parties. If we are required by law to disclose the information that you have submitted, we will attempt to provide you with notice (unless we are prohibited) that a request for your information has been made and seek your assistance in replying to the legal request. We will attempt to provide this notice by email if you have given us an email address. If you do not challenge the disclosure request, we may be legally required to turn over your information.
In addition, we will independently object to requests for access to information about users of our site that we believe to be improper.
J-Source is hosted by Pagely Inc., based in the United States with its own privacy policies. Personal information on the J-Source site hosted through Pagely is stored in Canada. All requests to Pagely for personal information from the J-Source site are forwarded to J-Source for response. Pagely does not respond to requests for information.
HOW TO CONTACT J-SOURCE
If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy notice or our privacy practices, you may contact J-Source at firstname.lastname@example.org