Canadian Journalism Foundation
Job Posting for Associate Editor, Canadian Journalism Project (J-Source.ca)
Full-time contract position
Start Date: November 2011
Term of Contract: 1 year contract
Salary: $35,000 – $40,000 / year
Application Deadline: November 11, 2011
J-Source.ca is the number one Canadian journalism news website in the country. To ensure we keep providing news, opinion and resources about our profession and industry, we want to hire an energetic, thoughtful, self-motivated, collaborative and enthusiastic journalist to join our team as Associate Editor.
The Associate Editor is directly responsible for managing all content on J-Source, acting as both a reporter and editor as necessary. You will be linking, writing and posting news, features and commentary about what is happening in Canadian journalism: resources to help reporters, writers and editors; professional practices, ethics and media law; how journalism is taught and studied; and, academic research on the profession and the industry. While the site is targeted primarily to journalists, our audience includes researchers, professors, students and the public. J-Source.ca and its French counterpart ProjetJ.ca are projects of the Canadian Journalism Foundation (CJF) in collaboration with journalism schools and organizations across Canada.
As a qualified applicant, you:
• Have a minimum of two years experience working as a journalist in a news gathering environment (multimedia experience an asset);
• Visit J-Source regularly and can demonstrate interest in journalistic issues and the Canadian industry;
• Possess excellent research, reporting, writing, proofreading and editing skills in English and can ensure timely delivery of accurate content both as a reporter and editor;
• Know how to produce original stories whether that’s working as a reporter or collaborating with volunteer editors and writers;
• Know your way around the Web having tweeted, friended, blogged, managed content and otherwise communicated with various online networks;
Under the supervision of the Editor-in-Chief and the Executive Director, in support of the masthead team members, and in collaboration with the CJF Program Manager, the Associate Editor will:
• Seek out relevant news, opinion, analysis, resources and write daily blog posts about journalism
• Report and write original features, live blogging of events
• Copyedit all content ensuring consistency, accuracy, and fairness
• Seek opportunities for original content, assign it (where required) on section editors' behalf, and work with creators and editors to shape and post the content
• Manage the weekly e-newsletter
• Update J-Source Twitter and Facebook pages and moderate comments from readers throughout the day
• Ensure J-Source.ca demonstrates journalistic excellence through all the content and its relationship with the audience
Please forward your cv and cover letter by November 11, 2011. Attention: Natalie Turvey at firstname.lastname@example.org.